In my copious spare time, I’ve started work on a FreeBSD port of Chromium. So far it doesn’t even build, but I’ve identified a few problem areas people might like to pitch in on.
- NSS port: the FreeBSD NSS port needs to be upgraded to at least NSS 3.12. Ideally to the latest version because it fixes some security holes.
- Sound: mostly whatever Linux does it likely to be the right thing for FreeBSD, too, so much of the porting work at this stage is pretty mechanical. But sound isn’t – the Linux port uses ALSA, which FreeBSD has no truck with. I am informed that the right thing to use on FreeBSD is OSS. But someone needs to do that.
- Build farm: building this sucker is slow. I wouldn’t mind having access to a nice big build farm.
So far none of the work has been committed, but I am optimistic that some will be soon. In the meantime, you’ll be needing some patches.
- http://codereview.chromium.org/171086 fixes a bug in gyp, and stops it from assuming we’re running on Linux if we want to use make, which we do.
- http://codereview.chromium.org/180037 is one chunk of porting.
- http://codereview.chromium.org/172032 is another.
There’ll probably be another patch soon – I’m going through the rest of the code right now getting the parts that don’t need NSS or ALSA building.
In order to build this lot, you’ll need to configure like this:
cd src && GYP_GENERATORS=make python tools/gyp/gyp_chromium -D 'OS=freebsd' -D 'use_system_libxml=1' build/all.gyp
and build using gmake:
cd src && gmake chrome
Right now anything that fails on NSS or ALSA I’m just manually removing from the .mk files.
You’ll also need a bunch of ports installed, here’s what my notes currently say
Python >= 2.4 (lang/python24, lang/python25, lang/python26, lang/python30)
Perl >= 5.x (lang/perl5.6, lang/perl5.8, lang/perl5.10)
gcc/g++ >= 4.2 (lang/gcc42, lang/gcc43, lang/gcc44, lang/gcc45)
g++-multilib >=4.2 (?)
bison >= 2.3 (devel/bison == 2.4.1)
flex >= 2.5.34 (base system: 2.5.4 - oops?)
gperf >= 3.0.3 (lang/gperf - NB: base system has /usr/bin/gperf == 2.7.2, port installs /usr/local/bin/gperf)
pkg-config >= 0.20 (devel/pkg-config == 0.23)
libnss3-dev >= 3.12 (security/nss == 3.11.9_2 - hand install?)
libnspr4-0d >= 4.7.1+1.9-0ubuntu0.8.04.5 (ubuntu0.8.04.1 causes duplicate dtoa references) (devel/nspr?)
libnspr4-dev >= 4.7.1+1.9-0ubuntu0.8.04.5 (devel/nspr)
msttcorefonts (Microsoft fonts)
libcairo2-dev (no port!)
Get in touch if you want to help. Or join the chromium-dev mailing list and pitch in.